Last week a conference “International standards for the selection of judges. Selection of judges for courts of first instance in Lithuania: how to attract the most talented lawyers and to select the most suitable judges?” took place at the Parliament of the Republic of Lithuania.
The conference was the final event of the project “The Portrait of a Judge”. It brought together members of the judiciary, scholars, legislators and representatives of non-for-profit organizations, active in the sphere of the rule of law.
At this conference:
- main results of the project, including international standards of selection and evaluation of judges, was present to a wide audience;
- participants were introduces with the Project experts’ recommendations for Lithuania.
Two panel discussions focused on:
- the importance of adherence to the principle of the separation of powers to judicial independence;
- the adherence of current judicial selection system of Lithuania to international standards;
- the significance of transparency in judicial selection, evaluation and promotion of judges;
- specific stages of Lithuanian judicial selection system and possible changes.
We invite you to watch the video record of the conference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sAVdZhrX50.
We cordially thank the Parliament of the Republic of Lithuania for agreeing to host this conference, all the speakers and moderators, for sharing their valuable insights and proving food for thought.